Showing posts with label Royal Australian Air Force. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Royal Australian Air Force. Show all posts

Wednesday, 20 August 2014

‘Fast-track frigates to save jobs’

A PLAN to save Australia’s ship building industry by bringing forward construction of eight potent new frigates for the Royal Australian Navy is being considered by the Abbott government. 
              
This option to bridge the so-called “valley of death” for shipbuilding would mean constructing sections of some of the new frigates when the hulls of the three air warfare destroyers (AWDs) are completed. That would mean the 7000-tonne frigates would use the same hulls as the destroyers so that they could be built with the existing equipment and the same workforce.
 
The sections, or “blocks” can be built in different shipyards and then welded together.
 
This option will be discussed in a speech to be made by Defence Minister David Johnston to key defence industry figures in Canberra today.
 
The valley of death is the tag given to the point when current defence contracts run out with the completion of the AWDs and two giant landing ships. Companies say they will have to sack thousands of skilled workers unless more ships are ordered.
 
That follow’s last night’s warning by Royal Australian Air Force chief Geoff Brown that the world was entering a period of political and economic instability “which will shape a potentially volatile and dangerous security environment, especially in our region”.
 
“Of particular concern to Australia is the rising tension in the South China Sea where our vital interests are directly engaged,” Air Marshal Brown told The Australian Strategic Policy Institute.
 
He said air power was the most agile and responsive military instrument available to government.
The use of air power by the US to save refugees trapped on Iraq’s Mount Sinjar had demonstrated how decisive it could be.
 
Senator Johnston will tell the industry representatives today the AWD project is running 21 months late and more than $360 million over budget.
 
He stresses the option of building the frigates in Australia ­depends on the shipbuilding industry demonstrating that it can complete the destroyers without further cost overruns or delays.
 
“This is to ensure everything is in place to allow a continued naval shipbuilding industry in Australia,” he will tell the Australian Business Defence Industry Group.
 
“All we are asking is that industry demonstrates it can meet an acceptable benchmark for cost and productivity.
 
“Part of the work on the future frigate program is to examine whether we can commit to the construction of some early blocks to ensure there is no break in production overall.”
 
Senator Johnston says no decision has been made on the design of the navy’s new submarines but work is progressing well on ­options. The government has ­already provided $78m for preliminary work on the new frigates.
 
The new class was set out in the Rudd government’s 2009 defence white paper which intended they’d be operational by the mid-2020s.
 
The ships were to carry cruise missiles and they were likely to be equipped with a system able to ­destroy ballistic missiles.
 
Co-operation on such a system was announced in Sydney last week at the annual AUSMIN talks between Australia’s foreign affairs and defence ministers and their US counterparts.

Sunday, 30 September 2012

Australia - Alert over ageing Hornets as structural fatigue hits fleet



The Royal Australian Air Force has been warned to scale back the use of its ageing fleet of F/A-18 "classic" Hornet fighters to avert structural fatigue concerns.

The 71 fighter jets, brought into service in the mid-1980s, may need to keep flying beyond 2020 because of delays in acquiring the new Joint Strike Fighter, the Australian National Audit Office said yesterday.

It warned to expect a big increase in annual maintenance costs of the old Hornet fleet from $118 million since 2001 to $170m today, with costs expected to blow out to $214m a year by 2018. The report found all but nine of the Hornet fleet had "experienced structure fatigue above that expected for the airframe hours".

The ANAO's upkeep concerns are directed at the "classic" Hornets and not the newer fleet of 24 F/A-18F Super Hornets delivered to RAAF Amberley between 2010 and last year.
Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days

"The key risks to the F/A-18 fleets' fulfilment of their operational requirements until their replacement by the F-35A Lightning (JSF) revolve around Defence's ability to maintain the present levels of Hornet sustainment and structural-integrity management," the report said.

Keeping the old Hornet fleet flying beyond 2020 would incur an extensive increase in sustainment costs, ANAO said.

It "may well require the fleet to undergo an expanded, and hence more costly, safety-by-inspection regime, structural modifications program and capability upgrades".

The government has indicated it will buy 100 new Lockheed Martin-built F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, to replace the Hornet fleet in a deal worth $13.2 billion.

So far, it has committed to buy only two JSFs and in May announced plans to defer for two years the next acquisition of 12 of the stealthy, multi-role strike aircraft.

The audit report noted problems with the JSF program, including that it was progressing "more slowly and at greater cost than first estimated".

"At the time of the audit, almost 80 per cent of the F-35 test and evaluation program was yet to be completed, so significant F-35 key performance parameters had not been fully validated," the report warned.

Latest 2012 price estimates for individual JSF war planes were $US131.4m ($126.2m), projected to fall slightly next year and reach $US83.4m in 2019 when aircraft production is scheduled to increase.

RAAF's first two JSFs are scheduled for delivery in 2014 and will remain in the US for flight tests and evaluation.

Australia is one of nine partner nations involved in the JSF program, which has delivered more than $300m in contracts to Australian aerospace suppliers.

To bridge a looming capability gap following the retirement of the 1970s vintage F-111 fighter-bombers, the Howard government ordered 24 F/A-18F Super Hornets -- themselves due to be replaced by the F-35 (JSF) Lightnings by 2025.

On a plus note, the ANAO said recent initiatives to improve performance of the JSF program "are starting to show results".