Amid
conflicting reports that the Libyan city of Bani Walid was captured by army
forces, RT has learned that 600 people were allegedly killed in Wednesday’s
fighting, and over 1,000 have been hospitalized. Locals are appealing for
international aid.
Libyan
officials claimed that government forces conducted a 20-day siege before
capturing Bani Walid, the last stronghold for supporters of the Gaddafi regime,
and seized the city. Sources in the town gave conflicting reports, saying that
local militias were responsible for the siege and now control of the area.
“We
continue to receive conflicting reports. From sources on the ground, we’re
hearing that the army is withdrawing from the city, although we are hearing of
widespread killings. Government sources say the city has fallen,”
An
individual in Italy who allegedly has relatives in Bani Walid spoke to RT about
the current state of the city. Calling himself ‘Alwarfally’ – referring to a
tribe from Bani Walid – he asked to remain anonymous for the interview.
He said
he contacted his family in the besieged city, who told him that the situation
there has stabilized: The militia retreated, but only after kidnapping a local
member of the ‘Council of the Elders,’ which was tasked by Bani Walid’s tribal
leaders with governing the city after the fall of Gaddafi.
“Bani Walid’s people got the control of the
city again,” Alwarfally told RT. “[The] situation in Bani Walid is better now.
Militia fell back after the fight that happened yesterday, and everything is
good.”
“Militia
kidnapped the consul of Bani Walid, his health is poor,” he said. “They will
take him to Misrata and I don’t know what will happen to him. He is a very good
man. He didn’t have anything to do with what happened, he is just a council
member in Bani Walid.”
The
Misrata militia that allegedly laid siege to Bani Walid was the same group
accused of war crimes by Human Rights Watch last week.
Alwarfally
also claimed that at least hundreds of people were killed during the 20-day
siege.
“The
number is really big,” he said. “One the first day that [the militia] came,
there were about 70 bodies from the fighting. Yesterday night there was 600.”
“The
number of people in the hospitals is over 1000,” he added.
Whether
government forces or militias are behind the violence, video footage from the
town paints a very graphic picture.
“Some of
the photos and video we’ve been receiving show dismembered bodies and children
who have been killed. Some of that footage is coming from Bani Walid
television,” Slier said.
Militias
blockaded the town for the past 20 days in an attempt to locate those
responsible for the death of Omran Shaaban – the man credited with capturing
Muammar Gaddafi last year. The Warfalla tribe controlling Bani Walid was
accused of kidnapping and torturing Shaaban.
The
people of Bani Walid have been appealing for help from the international
community – but Moscow's aid efforts were stopped by the United States.
Washington
blocked a draft statement, proposed by Russia, on the resolution of violence in
Bani Walid earlier this week. The statement called for a peaceful solution to
the conflict.
No comments:
Post a Comment