Thursday, 19 April 2012

North Korea in fresh nuke test fears

North Korea could be set to stage a further nuclear weapons or long-range missile test following widespread condemnation of last week's failed rocket launch and the cancellation of a major US food aid programme, it has been reported

In a statement released on 17 April, North Korea's leadership said it intended to renege further on an agreement with the US which should have seen the country cease its nuclear programme, allow International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors into its nuclear sites and end long-range missile tests.

The US had already announced that it would not deliver the food aid in response to North Korea's failed attempt to launch a long-range rocket, ostensibly to launch an observation satellite, on 12 April.

Many believed the 'satellite launch' was cover for a long-range ballistic missile test.

Long-range missile tests in 2006 and 2009 were followed by the strongly condemned nuclear weapons tests.

A statement from the North Korean foreign ministry said the country had "become able to take necessary retaliatory measures, free from the agreement", as a result of breaking from the deal with America. "The US will be held wholly accountable for all the ensuing consequences," it said.

"…Nothing can stand in the way of space development for peaceful purposes."

No comments:

Post a Comment