Monday, 1 October 2012

Submariners World News SitRep

Over 20 injured, dozens missing after ferry collision near Hong Kong


More than 20 people were injured in a collision between a ferry and another vessel in waters near Hong Kong, AFP reported. The survivors were rushed to a local hospital with various injuries. A search and rescue mission was launched for around 80 other people missing in the incident near Lamma Island.

Japan adopts harsh anti-downloading law

A controversial anti-piracy law went into effect in Japan on Monday, AFP reported. Internet users caught illegally downloading music and films now face up to two years in prison, along with a fine of up to $25,000. The new legislation was the result of a lobbying campaign by Japan’s music industry. Internet piracy has been against the law in Japan since 2010, but the crime did not carry any penalties until now.

US embassy advises Americans to avoid rallies in Tbilisi

The American embassy in Tbilisi advised US citizens to avoid areas where political rallies will be held following the Georgian parliamentary elections. One political organization announced a demonstration at the city’s Freedom Square, with the number of attendees anticipated to be in the “hundreds of thousands,” the embassy said. Similar demonstrations “will continue to occur in and around Tbilisi and throughout the country today and for the foreseeable future,” it said. The embassy also warned that “even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can become violent and unpredictable,” and advised Americans in the country to pay attention to local news media reports.

Serbia may ban gay rights parade over violence fears

Serbian authorities are mulling a ban on a gay rights parade and other public gatherings in the capital of Belgrade this weekend, as ultranationalists may attempt to disrupt the rally in a repeat of events of two years ago. “So far we have received only partial security assessments and we may ban the parade if it proves a high-risk gathering,” Reuters quoted Prime Minister and Interior Minister Ivica Dacic as saying on Monday. Authorities outlawed last year's parade for the same reason. Dozens were injured during the city’s 2010 gay rights parade in violent clashes between police and ultranationalists.

Russia denies involvement in Syria-Turkey plane incident

The Russian Foreign Ministry slammed “rubbish” reports by TV channel Al Arabiya alleging that Moscow was involved in the destruction of a Turkish warplane over Syria in June 2012. “We feel embarrassed even to comment on this rubbish, but we have to, unfortunately,” ministry spokesperson Aleksandr Lukashevich said on Monday, Interfax reported. Lukashevich claimed that a number of Arab media outlets have disseminated mistruths about the ongoing violence in Syria.

Greek labor unions plan more strikes for October

­Greek labor unions are reportedly planning new anti-austerity strikes for October. An auditor’s report is expected this month that will be decisive in the country’s bid for a new injection of money into its cash-starved economy. The latest round of cuts, affecting pensions, healthcare and defense, are required for Greece to receive its next tranche of vital bailout loans from the EU and IMF.
17:50 permalink
Greece to enter year 6 of recession as govt submits budget

Greece faces its sixth consecutive year of recession with a predicted economic contraction of 3.8 percent in 2013, a draft budget submitted to parliament on Monday reported. The Greek economy is expected to shrink by 6.5 percent in 2012, the AP said. Unemployment is also predicted to rise to 24.7 percent in 2013, from an average of 23.5 percent in 2012. The proposed budget leaves the Greek government in the red despite spending cuts and tax hikes over the past two years.

German prosecutors shelve probe of Nazi wartime massacre in Italy

An investigation of 17 former Nazi soldiers who were part of a unit involved in a wartime massacre in Italy was shelved due to a lack of evidence, German prosecutors in Stuttgart said Monday. The evidence found was not enough to demonstrate that former members of the 16th SS-Panzergrenadier Division ‘Reichsfuehrer SS’ played an active role in the 1944 killing of more than 500 civilians in the Tuscan village of Sant'Anna di Stazzema, the AP said. Murder and accessory to murder are their only charges for which the statute of limitations has not expired. The prosecutors failed to prove the eight suspects still alive were involved in the massacre, and identify their specific roles.

Somali government troops retake Kismayu

On Monday, hundreds of Somali government troops and allied militia fighters deployed in the center of the port city of Kismayu, a former stronghold of Islamist militant group Al-Shabaab. “We have sent 450 [troops] to patrol the town and settle in the police headquarters,” Reuters quoted Mohamud Farah, spokesperson for government forces in the southern Juba regions as saying. It was not known whether Kenyan troops, as part of an African peacekeeping force, had also entered the city center.

Death toll from September insurgent attacks in Iraq rises to 365

­The Iraqi government reported that the death toll from militant attacks sweeping the country more than doubled to 365 in September, compared to 164 deaths in August. The latest fatality figures for the attacks included 182 civilians, 95 soldiers and 88 policemen, and were the country’s highest in more than two years. The bloodiest single day was September 9, when more than 100 people died in bomb and gun attacks across Iraq. September's attacks also injured 683 people; 64 insurgents were killed during the same period.

UK terror suspect Babar Ahmad fights extradition to US

Babar Ahmad, accused of fundraising for terrorists, launched challenge in the UK’s High Court to halt his extradition to the US. Ahmad was detained in Britain in 2004 on a US warrant on accusations of running websites used to raise money for terrorists, and for supplying terrorists with gas masks and night-vision goggles, the AP said. Ahmad has not gone to trail for the charges in Britain. After a European court decision last week cleared the way for the extradition of Ahmad and four other terror suspects, two of the suspects filed challenges at Britain's High Court.

Syria fighting spreads in Aleppo's Old City – opposition activists

Shootouts erupted in several areas of the Old City of Aleppo, Syria, a world heritage site, opposition activists said on Monday. Last week, rebels announced a renewed attempt to seize the city, as government forces occupy most of the large medieval citadel in the heart of the Old City, Reuters reported. Rebels claimed to control 90 percent of the Old City, but are struggling to maintain their foothold. UNESCO reported that five of Syria's six world heritage sites have already been damaged in the ongoing conflict.

Japanese PM reshuffles Cabinet, appoints 10 new ministers

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda reshuffled his Cabinet for the third time this year on Monday. The premier appointed ten new ministers to the 18-member government, the AP said. Koriki Jojima was named finance minister, Seiji Maehara as national policy minister and Makiko Tanaka as education minister. Key positions in defense, foreign affairs and economics and trade will not be changed. Noda is expected to call parliamentary elections in the coming months.

Egypt doctors in 540 public hospitals go on strike

Egyptian doctors at 540 state hospitals began a partial strike on Monday to demand better pay and working conditions. About 40 percent of the country’s public health services have been shut down, the doctors’ union said. Emergency and intensive-care units will continue to operate, AFP reported. Representatives from the union met with President Mohamed Morsi last week, but failed to resolve the doctors’ demands.

Iraq reaches highest oil exports in over three decades

Iraqi oil exports rose to an average of 2.6 million barrels per day in September, the highest since 1979, Iraq's oil ministry announced on Monday. Iraq, home to the world's fourth-largest oil reserves, overtook Iran to become OPEC's second-biggest oil producer after Saudi Arabia, Reuters reported. Crude oil exports from the northern city of Kirkuk were boosted after Iraq’s central government and the autonomous Kurdistan region resolved an oil payment dispute last month.

Bangladesh govt vows to protect Buddhists after Muslim riots

On Monday, hundreds of Bangladeshi Buddhists began to return home in the wake of Muslim rioting in southern villages. The government vowed to protect the country’s Buddhists, and deployed army soldiers, paramilitary border guards and police in the troubled areas near the southern border with Myanmar, the AP reported. Some 1,000 Buddhist families fled their homes following attacks late Saturday. Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir reported that security officials detained 166 people in Cox's Bazar and the neighboring Chittagong district.

6 Cambodian farmers killed by old anti-tank mine

Six Cambodian farmers were killed after their tractor ran over an anti-tank mine left over from the country’s 1980s civil war. One of those killed in northwestern Battambang Province was a 12-year-old child, AP quoted district Police Chief Khum Soy as saying on Monday. Two other people were seriously wounded by the blast. The workers were driving home from a market. An estimated four to six million land mines and other unexploded materiel remain in Cambodia.

Peru hosts South American-Arab summit

Thirteen heads of state and government officials from Latin America and the Arab world met in the Peruvian capital Lima for the third Summit of South American and Arab Countries (ASPA), scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. This forum of the ASPA's 34 member-states aims to promote South-South business cooperation. The agenda also includes political issues, such as the ongoing internal conflict in Syria, its effects on its Middle East neighbors and the wave of violent protests sparked by an anti-Islamic film.

13 killed in suicide bombing of NATO patrol in Afghanistan

On Monday, three NATO soldiers, an Afghan interpreter and at least nine civilians were killed in a suicide bomb attack against a foot patrol in the volatile eastern Khost province, the coalition said. A suicide bomber wearing a police uniform attacked US soldiers patrolling the city of Khost, Reuters said, citing witnesses. A NATO spokesperson confirmed that the attack was a suicide bombing. The bombing came after two Americans were killed on Sunday in an apparent misunderstanding that led to a shootout with Afghan forces.

Iran unblocks Gmail, prepares new ‘filters’

Tehran removed online blocks on Gmail on Monday, allowing users unrestricted access to their accounts for the first time since September 24. The secure-protocol version of Google search was also unblocked, AFP reported. The Gmail ban was an “involuntary” consequence of the censoring of Google's YouTube video-sharing site, Mohammad Reza Miri, a member of the ministry tasked with filtering the Internet in Iran said. The ministry is working to create new filters to block YouTube under the HTTPS protocol while leaving Gmail accessible. Iran blocked YouTube in mid-2009 amid opposition rallies protesting the reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

S. African commission opens Marikana mine deaths inquiry

A commission ordered by South African President Jacob Zuma began its inquiry into an August 16 incident where 34 people, mainly striking miners, died during clashes with police. The investigation and hearings on the Marikana mine deaths aim to determine the culpability of platinum mining company Lonmin, the police and rival mining unions NUM and Amcu. The independence of the commission “is guaranteed,” local media quoted spokesperson Jacob Skhosana as saying.

US drone kills 2 in Pakistan – officials

A suspected US drone strike killed two men in northwest Pakistan near the Afghan border, Pakistani intelligence officials said. A missile reportedly hit men riding a motorcycle near the town of Mir Ali in North Waziristan on Monday. The unidentified men appeared to be foreign nationals, the AP said. The US is continuing its drone strikes in the region after Washington and Islamabad failed to agree on a joint military operation in North Waziristan.

Three NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan bombing

A suicide bomb attack in eastern Afghanistan killed three NATO soldiers on Monday, the US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said. The incident was an attack against an ISAF patrol in the city of Khost, AFP reported, citing an Afghan police spokesperson. Several civilians were also killed, he said.

Parliamentary polls open in Georgia

­Voters in Georgia headed to the polls for the country’s parliamentary election on Monday. President Saakashvili’s party is being challenged by an opposition coalition headed by the billionaire tycoon Bidzina Ivanishvili. A day earlier, up to 200,000 people took to the streets of Georgia’s capital Tbilisi for what was likely the city’s biggest rally in history. The crowds expressed support for the opposition party and chanted anti-Saakashvili slogans. Saakashvili maintains a controversial role in his country’s history, with some calling him an effective reformer, and others accusing him of being an authoritarian dictator.

USAID stops work in Russia

­USAID responsible for funding non-governmental organizations is ceasing its operations in Russia on Monday, after President Vladimir Putin said the mission had been interfering in Russia’s internal affairs. In September, Russia called for United States Agency for International Development to stop its work in the country by October 1. USAID has been active in Russia for over 20 years sponsoring issues such as at-risk youth and pressing public health issues like tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS. Moscow told the USAID to halt its activity, accusing the agency of attempting to manipulate the election processes in the country.

Kenyan navy shells Somali port - reports

­The Kenyan navy has reportedly shelled the Somali port of Kismayu after al Qaeda-linked rebels claimed they had abandoned the city. It was earlier reported that al Shabaab rebels had fled their last stronghold, and source of revenue for the group, after an assault from the sea followed by an attack by ground and air forces late on Friday night. However, there are conflicting reports that the police headquarters and the radio station are not yet under the control of the African Union forces, the Kenya Defense Force told Reuters. The shelling from Kenyan warships allegedly targeted the remaining pockets of extremist resistance in and around the city.

3 dead in extremist bomb attacks in Nigeria

­At least 3 people were killed and several injured in a series of bomb explosions in Zaria, Nigeria. The first bombing killed three when it struck soldiers of the Joint Task Force (JTF) as they stormed buildings allegedly inhabited by suspected members of Boko Haram, an Islamist militant group. Unconfirmed reports claimed that residents were warned in advance to evacuate their homes ahead of the military operation. Another blast on Sunday targeted an Islamic boarding school in the city. Two of the suspected perpetrators of this bomb attack were shot dead by security forces, and three injured victims were taken to a hospital.

At least four dead, scores wounded in Syria suicide blast - state media

­At least four people have been killed and scores wounded in a suicide blast in Qamishli, Syria, state media reports. A suicide bomber blew-up the car and himself near offices of the security forces, potentially targeting a police station in the city. Activists say the death toll could yet rise as some 15 people sustained "serious wounds." This is the first terrorist attack in Syria's mainly Kurdish city in the country’s northeast, since the conflict began over 18 months ago.

Chavez would vote for Obama

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said that is if he was American, he would vote for Barak Obama in November’s U.S. Presidential election. In a televised interview Chavez also said he believes Obama is a “good guy” and would still vote for him if he was a Venezuelan. Both leaders face elections in the coming weeks. Relations between two countries have been tense for years. "I wish we could begin a new period of normal relations with the government of the United States," Chavez told the Televen channel.

Two dead, one injured in Florida charity ride shooting

Two people have been shot dead and one injured at a Florida Veterans of Foreign Wars post, Winter Springs Police said. The incident happened just ahead of the charity motorcycle ride on Sunday morning. An unknown number of men came in and began shooting while the riders were eating breakfast before the start of the ride. Police have detained several people and confiscated a number of weapons. The charity ride was intended to raise money for injured bikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment