Sixteen-meter craters at the site of Wednesday’s Sudanese
weapons factory explosion point to a surgical airstrike, a US-based monitoring
group said. Earlier, Khartoum
accused Tel Aviv of destroying the plant, reserving the right to retaliate.
The shots released by the Satellite Sentinel Project (SSP)
to the Associated Press support the Sudanese government accusation that Israel
was behind the bombing of the Yarmouk military complex in which two people have
been killed.
Experts consulted by the SSP have confirmed air bombardment
of the site which destroyed the complex.
Military specialists found the site, “consistent with large impact craters created by air-delivered munitions,” Satellite Sentinel Project spokesman Jonathan Hutson told the SW.
The group also said that the images indicate that the
explosion “destroyed two buildings and
heavily damaged at least 21 others,” adding that there was no sign
of fire damage at the fuel depot inside the military complex.
The observed craters were centred in the area of the complex
where some 40 shipment containers had been stacked, the SSP further noted.
“If the explosions
resulted from a rocket or missile attack against material stored in the
shipping containers, then it was an effective surgical strike that totally
destroyed any container” that was at the location, the project
said.
SSP did not comment on the allegations of Israeli
involvement in the destruction of the munitions plant.
Initial official reports from the accident suggested an
accidental explosion in a storage room, but Sudan
later blamed Israel
for launching the attack. “We believe that Israel is behind it,” said Information Minister
Ahmed Belal Osman, adding that the planes had approached from the east.
Tel Aviv has so far neither confirmed nor denied striking
the site, but has accused Sudan
of being a key transit partner in supplying Hamas and Hezbollah with weapons.
Israeli officials suggest that arms smuggled to Gaza
and Lebanon
originate in the Iranian port of Bandar
Abbas then get to Sudan
before crossing Sinai desert into Gaza
through underground.
The explosion on October 23 caused the ammunition to explode
for hours, threatening homes in the neighborhood adjacent to the factory and
causing chaos among residents. Besides the two killed many people suffered from
smoke inhalation.
No comments:
Post a Comment