The main
strategic nuclear submarine Yury Dolgoruky, designed under Project 955 Borei, will become a part of the Russian
Navy only in 2013. Thus, the terms for the submarine to be passed into service
have been pushed back yet again, although Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov
has not clarified the reasons why.
It was
previously planned that the submarine would be passed into service in
September-October 2012. Until then, another date was announced - July 29, 2012.
The dates would be often postponed because of the need for additional testing
of Yury Dolgoruky's onboard systems.
It is
expected that with the first submarine of Borei project, Russia will pass into
service its new sea-based intercontinental ballistic missile Bulava, reports
Neva24.
Anatoly
Serdyukov said during his trip to the Kamchatka region that the second
submarine of Project 955 Borei - Alexander Nevsky - would become a part of the
Russian Pacific Fleet in 2014. The delay will thus make up more than a year.
The
minister did not provide any information about the Yasen-class submarine
either. Serdyukov said that nuclear submarine Severodvinsk of this class was
still undergoing state tests, says RBC. As previously reported, Severodvinsk
was supposed to be passed into service before the of 2012.
Yury
Dolgoruky submarine is developed by the Central Design Bureau for Marine
Engineering Rubin. The sub was built at
Sevmash (Rubin and Sevmash are part of the United Shipbuilding Corporation).
The state tests of the submarine, including both surface and underwater
launches of ballistic missiles, were completed in December 2011. The submarine
is 170 meters long, 13.5 meters wide, it can submerge at the maximum depth of
450 meters. The maximum underwater speed of the sub is 29 knots.
No comments:
Post a Comment