Sunday, 30 September 2012

Submariners World News SitRep



Iran finds Reuters guilty of propaganda

­An Iranian jury found the news agency Reuters guilty of “publishing false information in an effort to disturb public opinion,” and “propaganda against the regime.” Reuters ran a story in March of this year titled: 'Thousands of female Ninjas train as Iran's assassins.' The story was later corrected to read: 'Three thousand women Ninjas train in Iran,' with the agency publicly acknowledging its error and removing the word ‘assassins.’ After the incident, Reuters’ Iranian bureau was suspended, and the branch's 11 staffers were forced to return their press cards.

Russian Orthodox Church calls for mercy for Pussy Riot

The court should show clemency while reviewing the appeal on the sentence of the three jailed members of punk band Pussy Riot, if the women show remorse, the Russian Orthodox Church said. Expressions of remorse on their part would indicate that they are on a path to rehabilitation, Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the church’s press service said. A Russian court sentenced the three members of the controversial band to two years in prison for inciting religious hatred. The women pleaded not guilty. The court will consider an appeal on the sentence on Monday.

Thousands of Indonesians protest anti-Islam film

­Thousands of Muslims marched through the Indonesian capital Jakarta in an angry protest against an infamous video that insults the Prophet Muhammad. Police estimated that 5,000 people participated in the Sunday demonstration. Hundreds of protesters guarded the US embassy as protesters passed by, chanting anti-American slogans and carrying large banners that read, “Go to hell with your freedom of expression, Muslims unite against insults to Islam.” Smaller protests were held in other Indonesian cities.

30 wounded in Thai fair grenade attack

­A grenade attack injured 30 people at a trade fair in southern Thailand's Narathiwat Province. The attackers fired grenades at a security checkpoint, and two exploded near booths. Four of the 30 victims were seriously wounded. Thai police blamed Islamist insurgents for the incident, and for a separate shooting attack on Saturday. More than 5,000 have died since an insurgency took hold of the country's southern region in 2004.

Moscow expresses grave concern after Finland takes custody of Russian mother's children

­The Russian Foreign Ministry is closely monitoring further developments in an incident where Finnish social workers took custody of four children, including a newborn, away from a 29-year-old Russian-born resident of Vantaa, Finland. The Russian embassy in Helsinki has been in contact with the family, and recommended an expert lawyer to represent them. The ministry expressed grave concern to Finnish authorities over the event in a statement on their website.

1 child killed, 3 wounded in Kenya church grenade attack

­One child was killed and three others were seriously injured during Sunday school at St. Polycarp's Church in Nairobi, Kenya, when a group of attackers threw a hand grenade into the church, police said. The attackers are believed to be linked to the Somali militant group al-Shabaab. The radical Islamist organization began operating in Kenya last year, after Kenyan forces deployed in Somalia to combat the group.

PM of Kosovo calls for EU-led talks with Serbia

­The Prime Minister of Kosovo, Hashim Thaci, called for his country to hold talks with Serbia in an effort to normalize relations and pursue integration with the EU. Next month, the EU will attempt to broker talks between Kosovo and Serbia; an improvement in relations between the two countries is regarded as a precondition for EU membership. Serbia does not recognize Kosovo’s 2008 declaration of independence, and views the country as a part of its territory. On October 10, Kosovo will likely receive a progress update on its attempt to secure EU membership.

Attackers of Hindu temple face blasphemy charges in Pakistan

Pakistani police reportedly opened a criminal case against nine Muslims suspected of attacking a Hindu temple. If charged and found guilty of blasphemy, they face the death penalty or life in prison. The nine people, including a Muslim cleric, are suspected of damaging a holy book and assaulting the custodian of the Sri Krishna Ram temple in a Hindu neighborhood on the outskirts of the southern city of Karachi on September 21.

Muslim protesters set fire to Buddhist temples and homes in Bangladesh

­At least four Buddhist temples and 15 Buddhist homes were burned down last night when hundreds of Muslims stormed Bangladesh's southeastern Buddhist region. The protesters claimed they were angered by a photograph “insulting Islam” posted on Facebook by a Buddhist. Police deployed security forces to the region and have banned gatherings in areas heavily populated by Buddhists.

Russia takes Czech hard liquor off shelves over methanol fears

­Russian Chief Sanitary Inspector Gennady Onishchenko ordered the country’s stores to stop selling all hard liquors produced in the Czech Republic between January 1 and September 26. The order comes after 25 people in the Czech Republic and neighboring Slovakia and Poland died of methanol poisoning in the past month, with dozens more hospitalized. Earlier in September, Russia suspended imports of Czech hard liquor.

US death toll in Afghanistan reaches 2,000

­An Afghan security officer killed a US soldier in an apparent insider attack on Saturday, bringing the total number of American troops killed in the country over the 11-year-long conflict to 2,000, a US official confirmed. The Pentagon aims to withdraw most US combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014. The NATO-led occupying coalition will maintain some 108,000 troops, including 68,000 US soldiers, in the country at the end of this year

Libyans hand over arms in weapons collection drive

Hundreds of Libyans have begun to hand over weapons leftover from last year’s civil war. The country's new government is attempting to rid the streets of arms and armed militia groups as it struggles to assert authority in a country awash with weapons. Many Libyans fear the militias formed during the war to oust the Gaddafi regime that still possess stockpiles of weapons, and frequently take the law into their own hands.

NATO soldier, contractor killed in Afghan green-on-blue assault

­A coalition service member and a civilian contractor were killed in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, according to an ISAF statement. There were also a number of Afghan National Army casualties in an attack which is believed to have involved an Afghan soldier or a militant dressed as one. Officials refused to give any other details while a joint Afghan National Army and ISAF investigation is underway. The trend of Afghan soldiers firing on coalition troops is worsening for NATO as earlier in September, eight coalition soldiers were killed in three separate attacks across Afghanistan.

Two dead in Venezuela on presidential campaign trail

­Two people have been shot dead in a clash between supporters of President Hugo Chavez and his opponent Henrique Capriles ahead of next month's Venezuelan presidential election, reports the Ministry of Justice. According to the opposition, Chavez supporters blocked a motorcade of Capriles backers and people on both sides were arguing when a man appeared with a gun and started shooting. These are the first deaths related to campaign trail, though clashes are a regular occurrence.

Syrian rebel commander killed in mutiny - state media

­A commander of the Syrian insurgent militia has reportedly been killed by members of his own group in the city of Dara'a. Rabea Swaidan was shot in a dispute over the distribution of property and funds the group has received from abroad, the SANA news agency reported. It adds that Swaidan personally headed the looting of property, armed robberies and abductions.

Ecuadorian armed forces rescue kidnapped Australian, British tourists - reports

­Two female tourists from the UK and Australia who had been kidnapped in northeastern Ecuador, near the border with Colombia, on Friday have been freed, the country's Interior Minister Jose Serrano said. The women were located and rescued by the special police and army teams, Serrano wrote on his Twitter. The women were abducted in a remote Amazon jungle nature reserve in Ecuador's Sucumbios province. Similar attacks in the same area were reported on Friday.

Aleppo's ancient market in flames as battle rages

­A Syrian UNESCO World Heritage Site is in danger of being destroyed, as the ancient covered market in the center of Aleppo is burning as fighting between the rebels and state forces rages. The medieval market, made of carved wooden facades and vaulted stone alleyways, was once a major tourist attraction. UNESCO warns that five of Syria's six heritage sites that comprise the ancient desert city of Palmyra, the Crac des Chevaliers crusader fortress and parts of old Damascus have been affected. Both sides blame each other for blaze. The rebels on Thursday announced a new offensive in Aleppo, Syria's commercial hub, but neither side has appeared to make significant gains.

Yemen's president acknowledges drone strike approval

­Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi has for the first time publicly acknowledged that he personally signs off on every US drone strike carried out in his country. Hadi also called the drone a technical marvel that has helped reverse al-Qaeda’s gains, and disclosed new details about counter-terrorist missions that involve US, Saudi Arabian and Omani forces. “Every operation, before taking place, they take permission from the president,” Hadi told the Washington Post. In this year alone the US has carried out 33 drone strikes in Yemen, compared to 10 in 2011.

Egypt's army prepares for post-revolution upgrade

­The Egyptian Army is to be modernized, as officers are demanding concrete changes in the armed forces following last year’s revolution. Egypt's new Commander-in-Chief and Defense Minister, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, has promised better training and more modern weaponry for the country's army. "Regarding the status of our military equipment, we may feel that some of it is modest, but we must work with what arsenal we have. We will not be able to change all of our hardware completely. What we can do is achieve the highest standards of shooting and efficiency. This will compensate for the modest equipment we are gradually trying to replace," he said, according to a live recording of his speech obtained by Reuters. The United States provides Egypt with $1.3 billion in military aid annually.

Guantanamo detainee lands in Canadian prison

­Convicted terrorist Omar Khadr has arrived in Canada to serve his prison term. Khadr was transferred to Millhaven Institution, where he will serve his remaining 40 year sentence after being transported from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, aboard a US government aircraft. He is first person since World War II to be prosecuted in a war crimes tribunal for acts committed as a juvenile.

Yemeni official survives fourth assassination as blast kills one, injures 11

­At least one person is dead, and eleven wounded after a suicide blast in Yemen targeted a government official who once led a local militia against al-Qaeda. Mohammed Aidarous, the head of Lawder district in Abyan province, survived the assassination attempt as the attacker detonated his explosives prematurely outside a hospital where Aidarous was at the time. An anonymous official at the hospital said the attack was carried out by al-Qaeda. It was the fourth unsuccessful attempt on Aidarous' life.

Libyans turn in revolutionary weapons

­Hundreds of Libyans are surrendering their weapons to government collection points in Tripoli and Benghazi, in an effort to help the Libyan Army rid the streets of arms left over from last year's revolution. Some revolutionary trophies that have been turned in include armored personnel carriers, trucks with fixed anti-aircraft guns and rocket launchers. Authorities estimate that over 200,000 people in Libya are armed. The call to surrender weapons was prompted after thousands rose up in protest against militias and marched through Benghazi earlier this month following an assault at the US consulate that killed four Americans, including the Ambassador to Libya.

No comments:

Post a Comment