Friday, 14 September 2012

Submariners World News SitRep



Second US university orders evacuation after bomb threat

North Dakota State University has evacuated its campus following an anonymous bomb threat. No explosives have been found so far. Earlier the University of Texas also told people to leave its campus after an anonymous call.

University of Texas evacuates campus after bomb threat

The University of Texas at Austin has ordered its staff and students get “as far as possible” from the campus. The decision was made after an anonymous caller claimed that multiple bombs would be detonated all over campus in 90 minutes.  The ninety-minute period passed without any explosions taking place.

Pope visits Lebanon among rioting

Pope Benedict is visiting Beirut on Friday with a message of peace during a surge of anti-American sentiment in the region. Local media say more than 5,000 soldiers and security personnel were deployed to protect the pontiff. The Catholic leader is expected to stress unity between different Christian churches and peaceful coexistence between Muslims and Christians during his three-day visit.
13:42 permalink
Egyptian Islamists to produce a film about Muhammad

The Egyptian ultraconservative Salafi An-Nur Party said it plans to produce a film about the founder of Islam in response to the amateur movie, which ridiculed him and his followers and triggered riots in the Arab world. The 30-minute documentary may be titled “What the world would be without Muhammad”. Shooting may start as soon as next month, when the script is ready. The film will be released in Arabic, English and French.

South African miners reject Lonmin offer

Striking miners in South Africa have rejected a pay offer from management, choosing to continue their five-week strike, Reuters reported. Workers at the Marikana platinum mine say the offer was significantly below the 2,500 rand ($1,500) they were demanding. The strike has spread to other gold and platinum mines in the region, and was marked by violent clashes and the shooting dead of at least 34 workers by police.

Two suspects arrested in Kenya for planning suicide attacks

Kenyan Police have arrested two suspects over allegedly planning suicide attacks in the capital Nairobi, AFP reported. Officers also seized six explosive vests and other ammunition in an overnight raid. The detained intended to carry out their attack during church services on Sunday, said Kenyan police. Two other suspects are being hunted by police.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon condemns anti-Muslim movie

­The UN Secretary-General slammed the anti-Islamic film ‘Innocence of Muslims,’ which has sparked violent protest across the Arab world. Ki-moon decried the film as “hateful.” The movie was reportedly filmed by an American director, news of which led thousands to take to the streets in anti-US demonstrations.

Japan to phase out of nuclear power

Japan is expected to announce the phasing out of nuclear power by the 2030s, as part of a major policy shift after the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster. This would appeal to the growing anti-nuclear movement in the country. Japan used to rely on atomic power for about a third of its electricity supply. The government is also expected to propose restarting reactors which were shut down after the disaster, as a transitional measure.

6.3 quake hits near Indonesia’s Sumatra islands

­A 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Indonesia’s Sumatra islands, the US Geological Survey reported. The tremors occurred at a depth of 25 kilometers, some 190 kilometers northwest of the town of Bengkulu. No damage was from the quake was immediately reported, and no tsunami warning was issued.

Israeli deputy PM defies Netanyahu on Iran

­Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Dan Meridor has spoken out in disagreement with the Netanyahu government's position of setting a "red line" for Iran’s nuclear program. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly called on Israel's allies to give Iran an ultimatum, and has threatened to launch attacks on the country's nuclear facilities. Meridor, who also serves as Deputy of Intelligence and Atomic Energy, echoed Washington’s desire to apply a more diplomatic approach toward Tehran.

Captain, crew and operator at fault for Costa Concordia tragedy - experts

­The captain, crew and ship's owner were jointly responsible for the Costa Concordia incident, according to a court-conducted expert investigation.  Thirty-two were killed as the Costa Concordia cruise liner capsized off the Tuscan island of Giglio on January 13, 2012. The ship's operator was quick to reject the blame, pointing instead to Captain Francesco Schettino. Schettino faces charges including negligent homicide, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before the complete evacuation of the 4,200 passengers. He denies any wrongdoing, but is being investigated along with eight others, including three company officials. A court hearing to determine whether they should be put on trial is scheduled for October 15th.

Iran responds to IAEA resolution, says willing to cooperate

­Iran is ready to cooperate with the UN nuclear watchdog on the condition that its national security will not be compromised, “provided that we are convinced that efforts are aimed at finalizing Iran's nuclear case, not pursuing a futile process,” Tehran’s envoy Ali Asghar Soltanieh has told the IAEA. Earlier, the UN body passed a non-binding resolution expressing “serious concern” over the country’s nuclear energy program.

Turkish hostage freed in Lebanon

­A Turkish man kidnapped in mid-August in Lebanon has been set free and handed over to Ankara's ambassador in Lebanon. The man is the second Turkish national to be released following a spree of abductions mainly by members of the Muqdad clan. The Shiite group alleged that the kidnappings in mid-August were in retaliation for its members being taken hostage in neighboring Syria by those supporting the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad.
Three killed, 9 infected by rodent virus in Yosemite

­A third person has died from a rodent-infected virus originating from camping cabins at California's Yosemite National Park. This brings the total number to nine affected in total, according to American health officials. More infections could still surface, as up to 10,000 guests risked exposure to the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome from sleeping in the cabins this June and July. This week the European Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization issued global alerts for travelers to avoid exposure to rodents.

No comments:

Post a Comment